Thursday, September 3, 2009

my blog is going to eat my homework

I am starting a blog that I hope will provide insightful reflections on Iran. There is a lot that is being said about Iran. Most of it by people who do not speak Persian, never been to Iran, never been to a Friday prayer, never listen to a sermon for any occasion, never been confronted by Basijis or revolutionary guard members,... you get the picture.

I will have to see how much of my time will be chewed by this new project. I am hoping for the best.

For a starter: a number of clergy (mid ranking, so far) has started to warn against further militarization of politics in Iran (better late than never). The revolutionary guard has become aggressively involved in politics. A fundamentalist member of Parliament (yes, not a reformist)warned against this trend. Recent events are pushing the silent majority of ayatollahs and clerical class into a more active role in politics to push back against absolute dictatorship in the name of religion (velayat faqih)... Are we in for a self-correction?

More later...
Payam Azaad

No comments:

Post a Comment